Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Vacations are evil for healthy eating

My husband and I just returned from a 10 day trip to Colorado visiting friends and family.  I went with every intention of sticking to my "better choices" lifestyle.  It was a lot more difficult than I expected.

It's hard to make better choices when other people are cooking for you.  And obviously even harder when eating out.  Despite my good intentions every time I picked up a menu, I found myself ordering what I really loved instead of what I knew was good for me.  But I didn't beat myself up.  I was having a great time visiting my friends and family and that was more important.  I did eat cake and ice cream at my niece's birthday party, frozen yogurt with friends and one ice cream treat the night before we came home.

The difference this time than before my cleanse was that I could FEEL that I wasn't eating correctly.  I started to get that "blah" feeling I had before Christmas and noticed that after sugary desserts I felt more bloated.

So that has made it easier to get back on track now that we're home.  I did gain back 6 of the 16 pounds I had lost since the cleanse, but I think since I know I will feel better now that I'm back in control of my own food, those pounds will hopefully come back off.  I'm back to lots of veggies, fruits with breakfast, organic milk and kefir and no desserts to tempt me.  I have not had soda since before the cleanse and other than occasionally thinking it sounds good, I'm not really missing it.  And the package of Dove chocolates that was in my Christmas stocking has stayed in the freezer untouched since my cleanse.  Little victories.

Now my big challenge is to get back to some exercise.  I know I feel so much better when I'm doing yoga with some regularity and my back doesn't bother me as much.  I think I'm also going to try my ballet workouts again as long as my bad achilles will allow.  It's a whole other dimension of my journey to add the exercise in since I am not allowed to run or jump or do anything that irritates my achilles - unless of course I want to end up having surgery on it.  But I'm hoping the ballet will help gently stretch and strengthen it again.

Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment