Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A word about Kefir

Several of you have heard me talk about my new favorite beverage, Kefir.  Kefir is a cousin of yogurt and comes in the form of smoothie drinks.  It is packed full of probiotics and tastes exactly like a yogurt smoothie!  In fact we've even added fresh fruit to it and run it through the blender as our evening treat.  It is so good and so good for you!

I was introduced to Kefir when I read "Live Beyond Organic" by Jordan Rubin.  After suffering from severe weight loss and health issues that no Doctors could identify, he moved to California to work with a nutritionist.  This nutritionist introduced him to a whole new diet of eating raw and organic, including raw unpasteurized milk and cultured dairy such as kefir.  Products such as these are very helpful for the digestive tract and your immune system.

Since adding kefir to our diets, along with eating better quality foods and greatly reducing our sugar intake, my husband and I have felt so much better.  For me, gone are the days of my stomach not feeling quite right, hurting or even nauseous.  I feel like I'm processing my foods so much better.  I have more energy.  And the kefir helps me feel satisfied I'm getting a "dessert".  Even though I don't miss the sugar of my favorite ice cream treat, mentally I still feel like I need that dessert at night.  So instead we have a glass of Kefir, or run it through the blender with some fresh fruit for a great smoothie.   I have definitely become a huge fan of Kefir and probiotics in general!

3 comments:

  1. Do you find this in the grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. In our grocery store it's in the same section as the yogurt and at Whole Foods we found it in the milk case. Our grocery store (and Sprouts in Denver) had Lifeway...I think that was the brand. That's Darin's favorite. I like that brand also but I also really like the Evolve brand we find at Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip - think I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete